Tuesday, June 16, 2009

a happy first birthday list

Wyatt’s first birthday was this weekend. Has it really been a year since I last went into labor? It’s so fresh in my mind; the moment I realized I was in labor, arriving at the hospital that seemed deserted, laying there waiting to be prepped for surgery, the epidural (will I EVER forget that? Probably not), the words, “You might feel a little pressure,” right before it felt like my intestines were being ripped from my abdomen, and of course, seeing Wyatt for the first time.
I’m not pregnant this summer (dare I type those words?!?) but I was last summer and two summers before that. And I enjoy summer a whole lot more when I am not pregnant. In honor of Wyatt’s birthday, I thought of a list of reasons why I’m glad that I am NOT pregnant right now. Here it is. One reason for every month I was pregnant.

1. No one is using my bladder as a soccer ball.
2. I can walk to the mailbox without getting winded.
3. I can paint my own toenails and shave my legs.
4. I like walking by Motherhood Maternity and not needing anything. Like the ever popular maternity thong. I had to go in there with a pregnant pal the other day and I came across the maternity thong. Seriously?
5. Acid reflux for nine months is no fun.
6. Old ladies don’t look at my belly and give me that knowing smile that says, “I know what you’ve been doing, Dearie.”
7. I can bend at the waist. It comes in handy when trying to work in the garden or helping a two-year-old put on his Elmo underpants, among other things.
8. As sexy as the “nursing bra/nursing nightgown/orthodontic retainer combo” is, I think Bryan was ready for me to ditch the pregnancy and nursing stuff and don my much sexier “old t-shirt and shorts with orthodontic retainer combo”.
9. I like being able to eat popcorn and diet coke for breakfast and not feeling guilty that someone might have been counting on today’s nutrients to develop a spine.

And there you have it. I love you, Wyatt!

No comments: