Monday, October 20, 2008

To Whom it May Concern

Dear Rest of the World,

I regret to inform you that the Phillips family will not be observing Daylight Savings Time this year. Before you write me off as crazy, let me explain. I was looking at the calendar tonight to see what the rest of October has in store for us. We're pretty busy right up to the end. So I peeked around the corner to November and, oh, there it was: Daylight Savings Time Begins. A wave of panic came over me instantly. Because as every mother knows, it doesn't matter if we're "springing forward" or "falling back" or taking a flight to Tokyo - it all means the same thing to me - lost sleep.

You see, my 2 year old and 4 month old sons can't tell time yet. And we run on their schedule. They already wake up when they are cold or hot or wet or hungry or thirsty or itchy or when they hear a housefly fart. And then they wake me up. It's been a long two years of this Mommy business. There have been days when I was so tired I felt like my eyelids were lined with sandpaper. I've shampooed my hair with shaving cream and fallen asleep on the toilet.

But it was starting to get better...in the last month, we've had some nights when I was only jolted out of bed by someone who needs me three times! I'm feeling refreshed in the mornings - or at least less like a torture victim.

And now here comes Daylight Savings Time trying to mess it all up. Well, this year, I'm putting my foot down. We're not doing it. I guess this means that until Spring we will be an hour late (or is it early?) to church and for doctor's appointments and everywhere else we go. OH, STINKIN' WELL.

At least when we get there, I won't have red puffy eyes and shaving cream on my head. I sure hope you all understand and we'll catch up with you again in April.

Sincerely, Laura
p.s. Thanks for hearing me out. NOW you can write me off as crazy.

No comments: